The Oil and Gas market depends on the ability of hydraulic cylinders for several critical applications. As the cylinders of these rods are subject to abrasion, sliding wear and even corrosive environments, it is important to be certain they are protected as well as possible from the elements to maintain reliable, long-lasting operation.
To achieve maximum protection, conventional laser cladding or high-speed laser cladding (EHLA) deposits can be applied. Metco Joining & Cladding offers several surfacing alloys for these applications that provide unrivaled performance compared to conventional products. These materials can be applied crack-free, ensuring optimal protection and can be ground and finished to highly polished surfaces.
Metco 1020x series of cladding powders have a unique ferritic stainless steel composition comparable to 400 series stainless steel. Deposits of Metco 1020x exhibit improved abrasive and sliding wear resistance than type 431 stainless steel with similar corrosion resistance. It is recommended primarily for atmospheric applications where improved wear resistance is desirable and corrosion is a secondary concern.
The stable ferritic structure of the Metco 1020x series overlays applies more reliably and consistently than martensitic steel overlays, resulting in more predictable service performance. Although deposits of Metco 1020x are not as hard as their martensitic steel counterparts, the wear resistance is better as a result of homogeneously distributed hard-phase precipitates that develop during cladding.
While many applications may need only a single overlay of Metco 1020x, multiple layers can be applied crack-free, thus allowing it to be used for the restoration of damaged components. Moreover, thicker deposits provide longer-lasting resistance to sliding wear and highly abrasive conditions.
Metco 1020A is designed for application using conventional laser cladding or plasma transferred arc (PTA), whereas Metco 1020B is designed for application using high-speed laser cladding (EHLA). Finishing of Metco 1020x overlays can be readily accomplished using conventional silicon-carbide grinding wheels.
Typical Uses and Applications
- Cost-effective alternative for hard chromium plating
- Hard-bearing surfaces such as bearing journals, mud pump rotors, sleeves,
- Resist abrasive grains (low temperature) for cylinder liners, pistons, pumpjack sucker rods, pump plungers, hydraulic rams, crankshaft bearings
- Resist hard surfaces (low temperature) for wire drawing, capstans, pump seals, mechanical seals
- Resist intended or non-intended fretting motion on components such as machine bedways, wear rings, press-fit bearing seats
- Hydroelectric valves
- Salvage and build-up of grindable steels: mis-machined parts, worn parts